Idioms Gallery
Blog archive at the bottom of the page.

now
Language Gallery by Sharon Hahn Darlin


Jan 12, 2009

今始初聞 it's news to me

今 (now) 始 (start) 初 (first) 聞 (hear)

News is losing its novelty.

Do you still exclaim, "Wow, that's news to me"? "News" seems almost too readily available these days. We are subject to important "news" several times a day. Even when the information is actually fresh, you wonder if
it has already been regurgitated through various channels of media.

I am more likely to say "Wow, that's news to me" when I hear about gossip involving someone I know.

Personal news. Perhaps that's the appeal of Myspace, Facebook and Twitter.

It's become easy for anyone to break any kind of news. It's still uncommon to see a well-written, in-depth analysis of news, stuff that matters.

That would be news to me.







No comments:

Post a Comment

by Sharon Hahn Darlin
Go to Sharon Hahn Darlin's profile
Share |