Idioms Gallery
Blog archive at the bottom of the page.

now
Language Gallery by Sharon Hahn Darlin


Oct 3, 2008

响起春雷* reverberation / Of thunder of spring

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶/温家宝) happens to be a poet. (How cool is that?) Contrast Wen's optimistic use of 响起春雷 with;Prison and palace and reverberation
Of thunder of spring
over distant mountains

-- T. S. Eliot, The Waste Land (from "What the Thunder Said")
Unlike The Waste Land, this poem by the Chinese Premier is filled with earnest hope. I couldn't find a good translation, so this woefully inadequate version was done by yours truly.

我仰望星空,它是那样寥廓而深邃;
I look up at the starry sky, it is vast and profound;

那无穷的真理,让我苦苦地求索、追随.
Its infinite truth compels my relentless search, pursuit.

我仰望星空,它是那样庄严而圣洁;
I look up at the starry sky, it is dignified and blessed;

那凛然的正义,让我充满热爱、感到敬畏
Such awe-inspiring justice, I'm filled with fervent love, with reverence.

我仰望星空,它是那样自由而宁静;
I look up at the starry sky, it's so free, so tranquil;

那博大的胸怀,让我的心灵栖息、依偎
.
Its immense bosom allows my spirit to nestle in repose.

我仰望星空,它是那样壮丽而光辉;
I look up at the starry sky, it is magnificent, brilliant;

那永恒的炽热,让我心中燃起希望的烈焰、响起春雷.

Its eternal radiance allows a blaze of hope in my heart, reverberation of spring thunder.

3 comments:

  1. Translate better poetry.

    http://www.penpoemrelay.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for bringing this poem, "六月", "June", by Shi Tao (師濤), to my attention. I had no idea...

    所有的日子

    都繞不過〈六月〉
    六月, 我的心臟死了
    我的詩歌死了
    我的戀人
    也死在浪漫的血波裡

    六月, 烈日燒開皮膚
    露出傷口的真相
    六月, 魚兒離開血紅的海水
    游向另一處冬眠之地
    六月, 大地變形, 河流無聲
    成堆的信劄已無法送到死者手中

    Here's my version.

    ***
    The days we own

    Do not overtake [June]
    June, my heart died
    My poetry died
    My lover, too,
    Lay dead in rippling blood of romance

    June, scorching sun burns open the skin
    Exposes the truth in the wound
    June, young fish part the blood-red seawater
    Migrate toward another hibernating place
    June, the great earth shifts, streams fall silent
    Heaps of letters cannot be delivered to the hands of the dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Nobody! Who are you?
    Are you – Nobody – too?
    Then there's a pair of us?
    Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!

    How dreary – to be – Somebody!
    How public – like a Frog –
    To tell one's name – the livelong June –
    To an admiring Bog!

    "I'm Nobody! Who are you?"
    Emily Dickinson

    ReplyDelete

by Sharon Hahn Darlin
Go to Sharon Hahn Darlin's profile
Share |